Malong To Have Only Four Body Guards From Over Thirty

All the armored personnel carrier of security forces that were initially deployed around the residence of former Chief of General Staff of the SPLA, General Paul Malong Awan have been withdrawn after he reportedly accepted the presidential order for reduction of his body guards.

Malong To Have Only Four Body Guards From Over Thirty
Paul Malong [Gurtong file photo]

By Jale Richard

JUBA, 13 November 2017 [Gurtong]-The army Spokesperson, brigadier General Lul Ruai Koang told Gurtong on Sunday that Malong’s bodyguards will be reduced from over thirty to only four, “according to the law.”

“It was not disarmament, it was reduction of the force so that they go back to their previous units,” he said. “He (Malong) will remain only with four armed guards.”

Lul said Just like the his predecessor General James Hoth Mai who remained with four bodyguards after his tenure ended, Malong is entitled to protection but he will now be left with only four to protect him.

“It was miss reported that the government had wanted to disarm his body guards but he was requested to reduce the number from thirty plus to three as required by the law,” Lul said.

The army spokesman revealed that an agreement has been reached for some of Malong’s bodyguards to start reporting to their units this week. “The guards are on standby for further directives from SPLA general headquarters as soon as they are directed to where they will report, they will report immediately,” Lul said.

Lul said the armored vehicles were also withdrawn after a security review indicated there is no real threat to the government and residents of Juba posed by Malong.

He said forces were also withdrawn to reduce and eliminate uncertainty created by deployment of security forces near the residence of Malong, and to build confidence between Malong and the government because he had perceived the government had wanted to arrest him.
He said Malong is still at his residence near the presidential palace in J1.

The government is expected to issue a statement on the political settlement of the standoff between general Malong and the government on Monday, the army spokesman said.

The withdrawal comes after media reports that Malong has been released on Thursday and had been allowed to go for medical checkup in east Africa.

Malong had earlier written to the United Nations, Inter-governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) and the International Community seeking assistance to be granted to go for asylum in the United Nations camp, or be allowed to travel outside the country. He also asked to move with his bodyguards to his home town of Aweil.

Early this month, tension arose in Juba when President Salva Kiir ordered for the disarmament of Malong’s bodyguards, an order Malong refused to comply with.













 

Posted in: Home, Governance
Comments
RSS comment feed
There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.
Add Comment
Log in
to post a comment. If you are not a Gurtong member yet, register here.
Featured Videos
PEACE MESSAGES FROM THE CHURCH & STATE GOVERNMENT LEADERS
  • See Gurtong Mobile Cinema
  • GURTONG MEANS PEACE
  • PRAYING FOR PEACE
  • FORGIVE BUT FORGET NOT
  • THE LOST PEACEMAKERS OF JONGLEI
  • SELECTED TESTIMONIES
  • GURTONG IN PIBOR FOR PEACE
  • A Special Peace Initiative
See Gurtong Mobile Cinema 1 GURTONG MEANS PEACE2 PRAYING FOR PEACE3 FORGIVE BUT FORGET NOT4 THE LOST PEACEMAKERS OF JONGLEI5 SELECTED TESTIMONIES6 GURTONG IN PIBOR FOR PEACE7 A Special Peace Initiative8
css slider by WOWSlider.com v8.7
 

 

 

Gurtong Radio

Peace Efforts Earn Bishop Paride Taban Top UN Award

 
 English Programs     |      برامج اللغة العربية