Heavy Gunfire Heard In Juba

Heavy gunfire and explosions have been heard through the night in Juba, South Sudan, witnesses in the city have reported.

Heavy Gunfire Heard In Juba
Phillip Aguer, the SPLA spokesperson requested people to remain in their residences until the actual cause of the shootings is established. [File]

By Teddy Chenya

NAIROBI, 16 December 2013 [Gurtong]- The clashes occurred from about 10pm last night in the military barracks in Juba and the situation is now calm.

However, the Sudan Tribune reported that the South Sudan’s army, warned residents of the capital, Juba, to remain in their homes after gunshots and explosions were heard overnight.

"We request people to remain in their residences until we establish the actual cause of the shootings", Phillip Aguer, the SPLA’s spokesperson told Sudan Tribune.

The U.S. Mission in Juba said via twitter that there will be no movement of Embassy personnel prior to 10 am and will continue to closely monitor the security environment.

 The international airport has also been closed, with Kenya Airways confirming the cancellation of flight KQ 350.

 Ms. Hilde Johnson Special Representative of the UN Secretary-General for South Sudan calls for calm in Juba and said the UN Mission is deeply concerned over the fighting that broke out in Juba on Sunday evening and which is continuing this morning.

"As the Special Representative of the Secretary General I urge all parties in the fighting to cease hostilities immediately and exercise restraint. I have been in touch regularly with the key leaders, including at the highest levels to call for calm," said Special Representative of the Secretary-General, Ms. Hilde Johnson.

UNMISS will continue to monitor events closely and provide updates as developments warrant.

More details to follow.


RSS comment feed
There are currently no comments, be the first to post one.
Add Comment

Name (required)

Email (required)


Enter the code shown above in the box below
Designed and built by Brand X