UN soldiers provide water at a refugee camp in South Sudan. [File |EPA]
By Waakhe Simon Wudu
JUBA – 26 February 2014 [Gurtong] - In its latest update released on activities in and around protection of civilian areas in South Sudan, UNMISS says the force described as “surge troops” is from Ghana referred to as GHANABATT.
“A further battalion of 128 soldiers is scheduled to arrive on February 28. The 250 troops will be deployed in the coming day to Bentiu to reinforce the existing battalion of Mongolian (MONNATT) troops allowing them to conduct patrols further away from the town,” said the press release.
“It is expected GHANBATT will be augmented by additional troops in the coming months, to a total of 850 soldiers in South Sudan from Ghana,” UNMISS added.
The reinforcement is an effort the United Nations announced earlier to increase its role in protecting civilians following the outbreak of war in the country mid-December last year.
Nearly one million people have been affected by the crisis. On Wednesday, UNMISS said it is currently hosting 75,643 civilians displaced to its different camps in the country following the eruption of violence.
A total of 43,324 are being hosted in Juba, 21,568 in Malakal, 4,891 in Bor and 4,523 in Bentiu.